Monday, November 12, 2007

Strange Day

Well, it's the Veteran's Day holiday (Vets day itself was yesterday), and it also is my Dad's birthday. My Dad passed away in 1990 and it's always kind of tough for me around his birthday, and especially this year because it's his 75th. I miss him tremendously. He was a really good guy, and I always think that if I have half the good qualities he had, I'm doing okay.

What was it about him? I guess the first thing that comes to mind is that he was just generally a kind person. I was thinking about this yesterday - how in his dealing with people, he treated them well. He made a point to never talk down to people - to never make people feel stupid. It made him happy to boost people up rather than cut them down. Seems like there are a lot of people in the world who would do well to follow his lead.

Dad wasn't perfect - he'd be the first to admit that - and I think now that he's not around, I probably put him up on a pedestal a bit, but he sure was a positive force to have around.

He was the type of father who felt it was very important that us kids knew we could take whatever path we wanted to in life - and that he would be proud of us no matter what.

It's funny how kids can sense what their parents are feeling. I was at the dinner table last night, feeling pretty bummed out and missing my Dad terribly, and without my letting on that I was feeling sad, my oldest - Joey (named after my Dad) - gave me a big bear hug that was exactly what I needed. Must be in the genes. My Dad could give a hug that could cure all that ails ya', and I like to believe I'm no slouch myself. It was just what I needed - like Joey was covering for Dad.
Alright - enough sad crap. My Dad would want us to get out and enjoy the day. Good plan.

-George

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

from RockRoll43

COLOR HIM FATHER, The Winstons

There’s a man at my house he’s so big and strong
He goes to work each day, stays all day long
He comes home each night looking tired and beat
He sits down at the dinner table and has a bite to eat
Never a frown always a smile
When he says to me how's my child
I’ve been studying hard all day in school
Tryin to understand the golden rule

Think I’ll color this man father
I think I’ll color him love
Said I’m gonna color him father
I think I’ll color the man love, yes I will

He says education is the thing if you wanna compete
Because without it son, life ain’t very sweet
I love this man I don't know why
Except I’ll need his strength till the day that I die
My mother loves him and I can tell
By the way she looks at him when he holds my little sister Nell
I heard her say just the other day
That if it hadn’t been for him she wouldn’t have found her way
My real old man he got killed in the war
And she knows she and seven kids couldn’t of got very far
She said she thought that she could never love again
And then there he stood with that big wide grin
He married my mother and he took us in
And now we belong to the man with that big wide grin

Think I’ll color this man father
I think I’ll color him love
Said I’m gonna color him father
I think I’ll color the man love, yes I will